Re-Roofing Procedures and Costs
Understanding Re-Roofing Procedures and Costs Strengthening Your Own HomeRe-roofing is a complex process that defines how your home’s aesthetics and durability will be in the long run. Since the roof makes up about 30 per cent of any home’s façade, it is essential to choose the right materials that will match the overall theme and design, as well as the owner’s personal taste. Equally, roofing systems should be prioritised when strengthening a home’s general build, as it is one of the primary components that directly come in contact with western Australia’s extreme weather conditions and everyday elements. To provide an overall idea on re-roofing procedures, here is essential information that should be considered before finalizing a re-roofing strategy for your home.
Re Roofing ProceduresThere are basically two ways to reroof your home—to do it yourself or get a professional re-roofing company to cover all the hassles for you. The first option may spell “initially” lower costs, but overall, more time-consuming, labour intensive, and expensive procedures. Hiring professional roofers will not only ensure expertise in the whole process, but will also provide you with more options in terms of costs, materials, strategies, and additional installations that will pass Australian standards. There are basically nine steps in the process of re-roofing that most companies put into practice and are as follows.
1. InspectionSpecialists from your chosen re-roofing company will visit the site and inspect your roof to see what it needs in terms of size, quality, extensiveness of reroofing, and complexity of the process (E.g. Is your roof pitched or not? Is it easy to access?).
2. Quotation of pricesBased on the actual inspection of the roof, you will be given a comprehensive quote of the total expenses that will be spent. Different materials at varying prices will be offered, as well as additional installations, such as accessories (i.e. sarking, which can only be done when a new roofing system is installed) that you can decide upon. The timeframe for completion of the job will also be estimated by the re-roofing company.
3. Selection of materialsYou will, then, choose the type of materials that will be used in re-roofing your home (metal, clay tile, slate tile, terracotta, or colorbond—depending on which ones the company offers). Each type of roofing is made with different materials, has diverse designs and builds, and is made to address varied needs.
4. Delivery of chosen materialsThe materials will be delivered to your address for installation. Before the roofers begin the actual process of re-roofing, safety rails and other temporary structures will be installed based on the conditions of the site.
5. Removal of old roofingYour old roof will be removed. Battens may also be removed, depending on their overall state.
6. Installation of new insulation, sarking and ventilation (if applicable)Sarking, if included in the package, will be installed prior to the bedding of your chosen roofing material.
7. Bedding of new roofing, installation of flashingRoof tiles or metal roofing will be bedded, pointed, and fixed.
8. Clean-up of rubbish, debris, and scrapsRe-roofing companies make sure that jobs completed include cleaning the site and the surroundings thoroughly so that debris and scraps do not obstruct the gutter or any part of the roofing system.